CASA imaging mosaic of simulated data

simone.riggi

CASA imaging mosaic of simulated data

Postby simone.riggi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 am

Dear all,
I write to ask an info about mosaic imaging in CASA. I am using latest release 5.1.
Using simobserve task I did a simulation of a large sky model image (say 5000x5000 pixels, pixel size 1 arcsec). Several pointing are done in simobserve according to the 'grid' layout option. Then, I would like to image such simulated data using tclean task and I would like a clarification about the correct option to use in tclean.
I understood that the tclean 'field' option left empty allows to select all simulated fields. My doubt is on the 'gridder' option (standard/widefield/mosaic/awproject). Are standard/widefield usable to image the mosaic or should I use only mosaic/awproject in this case?
This is not clear to me from the documentation. If I select standard or widefield the cleaning is performed but I am not sure if this is the intended behavior.
Are there any sensitive tclean options I need to take care of when specifically imaging mosaics?

Many thanks for your support,

Regards,

Simone

jott

Re: CASA imaging mosaic of simulated data

Postby jott » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Simone,

if you have a simulated a grid, then mosaic is the right option for you. If you have strong sources in the sidelobes, you could consider awproject. The widefield is for single fields with bright sources in the sidelobes, but for multiple fields you should use one of the two options above.

Cheers,

Juergen

Return to “CASA”