Welcome to the VLASS CEO Working Group Sub-Forum

smyers

Welcome to the VLASS CEO Working Group Sub-Forum

Postby smyers » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Welcome to the Jansky VLA Sky Survey (VLASS) Communications/Education/Outreach (CEO) Working Group Forum!

This forum is for the discussion of issues and initiatives for increasing the visibility and utility of the VLASS in the context of education and public awareness, and encouraging wider participation by a more diverse user base. This includes (but is not exclusive to): links to other surveys and communities, communication opportunities, education at all levels, citizen science, outreach, social media, internet-enabled collaboratoria, events.

To kick off discussion, here are some initial questions to ponder:

- What steps should we take to involve the broadest community base from the beginning?

- What are the key educational opportunities for the VLASS and how should we best exploit them?

- What avenues should we explore for linking the VLASS to other surveys and communities?

- How should we utilize internet collaboration platforms and social media for VLASS?

These are just examples of the issues we might address. We will also be responsive to issues that come up during the discussion in other working groups that need advice related to communication, education, and outreach.

All users that wish to contribute to the forum discussions are required to register via http://my.nrao.edu. See the Terms of Use post for guidelines on use of this forum.

We look forward to your participation in the VLASS!

Regards,
Steve Myers (NRAO) (CEO-WG chairs TBA soon!)

gsivakoff

Re: Welcome to the VLASS CEO Working Group Sub-Forum

Postby gsivakoff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 am

- What steps should we take to involve the broadest community base from the beginning?

Perhaps we should actually advertise this a little more broadly. For example, many of us are on the Astronomers Facebook page (plus we could make our own just for VLASS). Also, we could use society e-mail exploders. I would never have known what a critical time in the VLASS planning this was if not for one of my colleagues mentioning this at a conference last week.

- What are the key educational opportunities for the VLASS and how should we best exploit them?

General Public: Perhaps we could do some type of Galaxy Zoo like project to identify when the survey resolves out bright substructure from more extended objects. Or perhaps even better would be to bring in some multiwavelength aspects. We could pop up pictures in other wavelengths and ask people if there is a an association.

Undergraduate - Graduate Students: I think we should design (reserve?) some research questions that could be answered by students at this level, have a research advocate that helps the teacher, and work towards papers resulting from such a collaboration.

- What avenues should we explore for linking the VLASS to other surveys and communities?

My guess is that beyond database design issues, we might want to establish a(n already established liaison) within individual surveys.

- How should we utilize internet collaboration platforms and social media for VLASS?

In the end, if this is approved, we will want our own webpage like ssds has. Perhaps it isworth having NRAO secure vlass.org.

In addition to my answer for the first question, I can suggest two different internet collaboration platforms that I have used. One, CyberSKA is especially designed for this type of collaboration. Perhaps we should talk to Russ Taylor to see if it is worth expanding that to include VLASS. The other is a more commerical platform, Redbooth.

droberts

Postby droberts » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm

I think NRAO should work with WorldWide Telescope from Microsoft Research. They have a great free educational and research tool that has a specific sky visualization component for surveys. WWT is in schools museums and planetaria. Once the data is into WWT, we can then create educational programs using the data. Comparing to other wavelength surveys or comparing this survey with pointed observations.

noisyastronomer

Postby noisyastronomer » Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 am

gsivakoff wrote:-
In the end, if this is approved, we will want our own webpage like ssds has. Perhaps it isworth having NRAO secure vlass.org.

FWIW, vlass.org is currently available for just $15 a year according to my domain hosting service. :-)

noisyastronomer

Postby noisyastronomer » Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Here is the pdf of the starting document for the WG sent around for the 2 May 2014 telecon. Thanks!

Apparently attachments are rejected, so here's a DropBox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104 ... ndComm.pdf

noisyastronomer

Postby noisyastronomer » Fri May 02, 2014 4:29 pm

noisyastronomer wrote:
gsivakoff wrote:-

FWIW, vlass.org is currently available for just $15 a year according to my domain hosting service. :-)

Domain acquired. Consider the first year a gift from me. If there's already a link you'd like it to redirect to, let me know.

For now I've also set up http://vlasurvey.wordpress.com/

Remember to join the email list as well at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... omm-epo-wg. Later this weekend I'll send out a message combining what we've talked about so far as best as I can. Thanks!

areeba

Postby areeba » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:01 am

You can get these by trading resources (trading off polarization) or by using extra resources - we have been discussing possibilities such as setting it up to record the full auto-correlations on a much faster timescale than the cross-correlations (useful for transient searches, as well as helping with noise issues such as 1/f). This would be something fun to test out when enabled! But in any event there might be something clever we can do with the fact that we get auto-correlation data in "total power" for N (=25-27 or maybe 12 in the default case) antennas where the noise is mostly independent (except for common-mode RFI etc.) for the two polarizations R and L (as well as the RL and LR auto-correlations) - could one could use the cross-correlation of the auto-correlations or something similar to get more robust imaging information??

erika12

Postby erika12 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:19 pm

vlass.org does not seem to be working.
I'm interested to know if this project goes on, same thing with: vlasurvey.wordpress.com is no longer available

sgurton

Postby sgurton » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Greetings! I'm the new EPO AD at NRAO (new enough that I just rolled my eyes at that alphabet soup that I just typed). I'm still digging into what programs are already in place at NRAO, but I think there are several that we can plug VLASS data into:
We offer Chatauqua courses (https://public.nrao.edu/look-deeper/chautauqua) that would be an opportunity to teach instructors how to use our data in their classes.
We have two diversity initiatives that we should make sure know about this data: NAC and the radio astronomy course that will be offered through the collaboration that have with historically black universities.
There's also a National Science Digital Library that we should get a listing in, once we something to list. They also have guidelines for how data should be made available:
http://serc.carleton.edu/usingdata/site_criteria.html

I'm sure I'll come up with more. I look into what it will take to make concrete connections with the above programs.
Suzy

Return to “Communication / Education / Outreach Working Group”