Opportunities > Financial Support > Travel Support for NRAO Observing Runs and Data Reduction for Non-NRAO Employees

Travel Support for NRAO Observing Runs and Data Reduction for Non-NRAO Employees


For each observing program scheduled on an NRAO telescope, reimbursement may be requested for one of the U.S. investigators to travel to the NRAO to observe and/or plan for observations, or to reduce data. Reimbursement may be requested for a second U.S. investigator provided they are a graduate or an undergraduate student. Students must be enrolled at a U.S. University, working on an approved observing program. In addition, first-time visits by students to the NRAO-NM site must be accompanied by an advisor or collaborator on the project, or alternatively an NRAO collaborator may be requested. NRAO will, in some cases, provide travel support to the Observatory for research on archival data. The reimbursement will be for the actual cost of economy airfare, up to a limit of $1000, originating from within the U.S. including its territories and Puerto Rico (or mileage for a personal vehicle, if that is demonstrated to cost less). Costs of lodging in NRAO facilities can be waived on request in advance and with the approval of the relevant site director. No reimbursement will be made for other ground transportation or meals.


To qualify, the U.S. investigator must not be employed at a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) or its sponsoring agency. Exceptions are possible (eg, investigators early in their careers); contact  to request an exception. The NSF maintains a master government list of some FFRDCs at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf06316/.


The U.S. investigator should:

  • Complete an NRAO Outside Observer Travel Authorization and Expense Voucher, available from the office of the relevant site director.
  • Have the Voucher approved by the relevant site director.
  • Upon completion of the authorized travel, submit the Voucher and original ticket receipts to the U.S. institution's travel office.

The U.S. institution should:

  • Request reimbursement to it by submitting the Voucher and original ticket receipts to the NRAO Fiscal Office indicated on the Voucher.
  • Make its request within 30 days of the completion of the authorized travel.