Practical Information For Astronomers
Proposed Changes for Green Bank Observatory Operations
The National Science Foundation has announced two public scoping meetings and a public comment period for the planned environmental impact statement and proposed changes to Green Bank Observatory operations. The public scoping meetings will be held on November 9, 2016 from 3-5pm and 6-8pm at the Green Bank Observatory Science Center.
|Proposing on the GBT||Observing||Helpdesk||Schedules|
|Data Reduction and Archive||Financial Support||Scientific Visitor Info||Observer Alerts!|
- General Proposal Information describes the proposal evaluation and time allocation process. Starting February 2011, the NRAO's uses an Observatory-wide panel system that is no longer telescope based, that depends on community members for scientific evaluation, and the NRAO staff for technical reviews only.
- Practical GBT Information and Proposer's Guide updated prior to each proposal deadline, provides essential information for the preparation of proposals, including a detailed description of the submission process, instrument status, observing modes, and staff contacts.
- Proposal Submission Tool for the GBT, EVLA, and VLBA telescopes.
- Observing with the GBT (PDF) provides detailed information for executing observations with the GBT.
- Observing Policies and Practices for observing with the GBT.
- Remote Observing, describes the requirements and procedures for Remote Observing with the GBT.
- VLBI with the GBT provides information for VLBI observations using the GBT.
- Observer Comments, gives observers a way to provide feedback to the NRAO about recent observing.
- Observing Statistics provides monthly GBT observing statistics from 2001 to 2009.
- The NRAO help desk is available online
- GBT Schedule shows the current GBT schedule, with links to historical schedules.
- Dynamic Scheduling System description.
- Weather Forecast, as supplied by the national weather service.
- DSS Weather Forecast presents the suitability of expected near-term weather conditions for high-frequency observing.
- On Duty Support Schedule shows the local staff scientists who are on call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to support the current observations, including observing start up and trouble shooting. The on-duty scientist is usually different from the proposal's assigned Friend/Contact.
GBT Instrument Webpages and Information:
- Student Support Program for research by graduates and undergraduates at U.S. universities and colleges.
- Travel Support may be requested for one U.S. investigator to travel to the NRAO to observe, and for one U.S. investigator to travel to the NRAO to reduce data from NRAO telescopes.
- Preprint and Page charges for authors at U.S. scientific or educational institutions who use NRAO instruments.
- Visitor Facilities and Policies for GBT observers.
- Visitor reservations for acquiring housing at any NRAO site.
- Directions and maps to Green Bank from all nearby airports.
- RFI regulations describe the unique requirements staff and visitors must follow to prevent radio frequency interference.
- NRAO Library
- Local Area Information on Green Bank, WV, a beautiful part of the country, known by thousands who visit each year as "Nature's Mountain Playground."